Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Serves: 16-20 servings
1 lb cream cheese
1 lb butter (softened)
1 lb flour
1 1/2 lbs guava paste
sugar, for sprinkling
1. Blend the cream cheese, butter and flour until well mixed; Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
3. Roll out the dough into a 1/4-inch thick square; Cut the rolled dough into 16 to 20 squares.
4. A little off center of each square, place 1 tablespoon guava paste.
5. Fold the dough over the guava paste, forming a triangle; Press the edges shut.
6. Place the pasteles onto a cookie sheet and sprinkle them with a thin layer of sugar.
7. Bake until the pasteles are evenly browned, about 25 minutes.