Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Serves: 4-6 servings
1 lb chicken breast fillet (4 fillets)
1 tablespoon olive oil
10 cups water
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 potato, peeled & chopped
1 small onion, diced
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 carrot, sliced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 cup canned diced tomato
1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, plus liquid
1/4 cup diced canned pimiento
1 jalapeno, diced
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 dash cayenne pepper
1 dash basil
1 dash oregano
On the side
sour cream 1 pinch chopped Italian parsley
grated cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Sauté the chicken breasts in the olive oil in a large pot over medium/high heat.
2. Cook the chicken on both side until done-- about 7-10 minutes per side.
3. Cool the chicken until it can be handled.
4. Do not rinse the pot.
5. Shred the chicken by hand into bite-sizes pieces and place the pieces back into the pot.
6. Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and turn heat to high.
7. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 4-5 hours.
8. Stir mixture often so that many of the chicken pieces shred into much smaller bits.
9. Chili should reduce substantially to thicken and darken (less orange, more brown) when done.
10. Combine some chopped Italian parsley with sour cream and serve it on the side for topping the chili, if desired.