Preparation time: 15mins
Cooking time: 30mins
8 chicken thigh fillets, skinless & chopped in half
1tbs vegetable oil
1 red onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, sliced
freshly ground black pepper
60ml dark soy sauce
115g brown sugar
60ml fish sauce
steamed green vegetables, such as snow peas, asparagus or chinese broccoli
1. Place chicken & oil in a bowl and toss to combine. Heat a large frying pan over a high heat until hot.
2. Add chicken, in two batches and cook for 2mins on one side until lightly brown, turn & cook for another minute. Remove from pan.
3. Reduce the heat to medium & add a little extra oil if needed. Add onion & garlic and cook for 5mins, stirring occasionally. Return chicken to the pan, sprinkle liberally with black pepper, add the soy sauce & stir to combine.
4. Cover the pan, reduce heat to low & cook for 10mins, stirring occasionally. Increase the heat to high, add the sugar & stir to combine.
5. Cook uncovered for 3-4mins, or until the sauce is rich, dark & syrupy. Add fish sauce and stir to combine.
6. Place in a serving dish & serve with steamed rice and green vegetables.