Dietary guidance: v
4 medium potatoes, peeled
2tbs grated onion or chopped chives
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup plain flour
good pinch of salt
2tbs olive oil
1. Grate the potatoes into a bowl. Cover with water & rinse well. Drain thoroughly & squeeze dry with a tea-towel. Return to the dried bowl.
2. Add grated onion or chives, eggs, flour & salt. Stir into the grated potato.
3. Heat the butter & oil in a heavy frying pan. Put 4tbs of the mixture in the pan, then using the back of the spoon - flatten each down to form four fritters about 4cm across.
4. When the edges are golden brown & crisp, turn & cook on the other side.
5. Drain & serve with crisp bacon or slices of golden delicious apple slices cooked in butter & honey.
6. Repeat with remaining potato mixture.