Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 60 min
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v
For the French Toast:
1 loaf french or italian bread
1 C orange juice
2 T sugar
2 C light cream, Half & Half or whole milk*
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t nutmeg
For the Marmalad Glaze:
1 C good quality orange marmalade
1/2 C orange juice
8 T unsalted butter
1. Butter a 9 x 13 glass baking dish.
2. Tear bread into bite sized chunks and place evenly in baking dish.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add the orange juice, milk/cream, sugar and spices and blend well. Pour over the bread making sure to cover all of the bread well.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
5. Remove from refrigerator and allow to sit for an hour to come up to room temperature.
6. Remove plastic wrap, cover with tin foil and bake in preheated 350F oven for 30 minutes.
7. Remove tin foil and bake for a further 30 minutes uncovered.
8. To prepare marmalde glaze, place marmalade and orange juice into a pan and bring to a boil over medium heat stirring continuously. Reduce heat to low, add butter and bring back to a simmer melting the butter and bringing back to a simmer. Be careful not to let boil.
9. Remove french toast from oven, cover with tin foil and allow to sit for 15 minutes before cutting.
10. Plate each slice, drizzle with the marmalade glaze to serve.
*The french toast is richer when made with cream or Half & Half, but whole milk will also give good results.