Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
½ cup olive oil
1 onion chopped
4 medium carrots, sliced thinly
3 bunches spring onions, chopped
6 artichokes with the stems
½ cup fresh dill, chopped
Juice of 2-3 lemons
½ cup hot water
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the the chopped onions and the chopped spring onions. Sauté for a few minutes.
2. Add the sliced carrots and sauté for a few more minutes.
3. Add the artichokes and ½ of the dill, salt and pepper and stir continuously for a few minutes.
4. Pour in the lemon juice, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Do not stir but shake the pot occasionally.
5. A few minutes before you remove it from the heat, sprinkle the remaining dill over the artichokes and the sauce.
Check every few minutes to be certain that there is always some liquid in the pot. Add a little water if necessary.
It is a Greek tradition to dilute about 1 teaspoon of flour in warm water to thicken the sauce.