Preparation time: 35 min
Cooking time: 2 hrs.
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v
32 oz.dry lentils (soaked over night)
2 large yellow onions chopped semi-fine
8 cups vegetable stock
2 tsp vanilla
6tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
3-5 large carrots diced medium
4 stalks celery diced small
1 tablespoon fresh cracked pepper
2 bulbs garlic peeled and roasted with splash of olive oil.(20-25min)
16oz sour cream
4 tbs cold unsalted butter cut into cubes
1 ham bone with about 2-3 lbs cured or smoked ham attached. This is optional. Leave out ham for a vegetarian soup. If ham is left out you may want to add a bit of salt for taste
10oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
* In large stock pot on med heat add veg stock,onions, celery,ham,mushrooms,carrots,pepper,and garlic.
* Bring to to slow simmer
* Now add your butter,vanilla,cocoa powder.
* Simmer 10 min
* Add your lentils and give a good stir until well combined
* Remove ham after an hour and separate meat from bone. Chop and add back to the pot. Put bone back in for more flavor or let it cool and give it to you four legged friend whom is helping you with this dish
* Now in the last 15 min of cooking add your sour cream.
* Stir in very well. If it looks like the sour cream is curdling do not worry.Continue to stir well and the sour cream works itself out.
You can serve this over crusty bread or add a few cups of rice.