Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
3 Quarts Water
1 Whole split chicken breast with bones
1 large onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
2 medium sized beets, cut into strips
1 sweet green pepper, diced
3 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 small cabbage head, shredded
2 T. tomato paste
2 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
salt and pepper to taste
sour cream for serving
1. Pour 3 quarts water into a large pot, add the chicken breast, bring to a boil and boil slowly for 20-25 minutes. Make sure the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot, leaving the stock in the pot, and set the chicken aside. When the chicken cools, separate from the bone and cut into cubes. The chicken will be returned to the pot after the rest of the soup is cooked.
2. Saute diced onions and carrots in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil until the onion is soft and transparent. Set aside.
3. Saute beets in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil for 5-7 minutes, add the tomato paste, saute for another 2 minutes. Set aside.
4. Bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add shredded cabbage, cubed potatoes, sauteed onions and carrots, and sauteed beets. Return to a boil and add green pepper and pressed garlic. Boil slowly for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add cubed chicken. The soup is ready when the potatoes are cooked.
5. Serve hot, with 1 Tablespoon of sour cream on top. Also may sprinkle with finely chopped dill or parsley.