Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 50 min
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v
2 cups sugar (brown and/or white)
1 cup yogourt
2 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 tsp orange or lemon zest
2 1/2 cups carrots, shredded/grated
3 cups sifted flour (preferably one cup = whole wheat)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2-1 cup chopped walnuts
Optional: 1/2 cup pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
Optional: 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries or golden raisins
1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Beat the eggs and add the sugar, then beat until light and fluffy.
3. Add the yogourt, vanilla, and orange (or lemon) zest, combine.
4. Add the grated carrots.
5. Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
6. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
7. Add the walnuts and any other of the optional ingredients.
8. Grease and lightly flour 2 loaf pans (or a loaf and round pan.
9. Divide the batter between the two pans.
10. Bake for about 50-60 minutes, until toothpick/knife comes out clean.
11. Let cool on baking rack.
Adapted from http://everythingkitchensink.blogspot.ca