Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 12 mins
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v v n d
250g (8oz) self-raising flour
30g (1oz) dairy-free margarine
60g (2oz) dairy-free cheddar cheese spread
1 dsp (10g/0.5oz) dairy-free powdered Parmesan (Parmazano)
2 tbsp (30g/1oz) chopped fresh chives
75ml (2.5 fl oz) soya milk
75ml (2.5 fl oz) water
1. Pre-heat the oven to 210°C/415°F/gas mark 7 (please adjust for your oven).
2. Grease a baking sheet with vegetable oil and place on a metal baking tray.
3. Combine the flour, salt and Parmazano in a mixing bowl. Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. You can do this in an electric mixer using a metal beater on a low setting. Make a well in the centre and add the cheese spread and chives. Mix in either with a flat-bladed knife or on a low setting in the mixer.
4. Combine the soya milk and water in a jug. Gradually add to the flour mixture while mixing in using either a flat-bladed knife or the mixer. You can add more liquid if necessary - when using dairy-free ingredients you need significantly less liquid to form the dough. The dough should have a soft but not sticky consistency. Do not over-knead the dough or it will make the scones tough.
5. Turn out on to a floured board and press out to a 2cm (¾ inch) thickness. Cut out rounds using a 3cm (1¼ inch) cutter. Place the scones on the baking tray and glaze using soya milk.
6. Cook at the centre of the oven for 12 minutes (please adjust time for your oven) until golden brown.
7. Cool on a wire rack for a few minutes before serving.