Difficulty: Medium - experience needed
1 large whole, boneless chicken breast
1/2 lb. baby portabello mushrooms
2 slices mozzarella cheese
4 asparagus spears
1 1/2 cups Madeira wine
1 cup beef stock
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons Wondra or flour
1/4 teaspoon crushed black pepper
crushed sea salt, to taste
1. Separate the chicken breast into two cutlets. Season with black pepper and sea salt. Cover with plastic wrap and flatten with a mallet until about 1/4-inch thick.
2. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat; add chicken and pan fry for about 5 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate, cover and set aside.
3. Using the same pan, melt the butter and saute the sliced mushrooms for about 3 minutes. Add wine, stock and Wondra and then bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer for about 20 minutes stirring frequently, the sauce will thicken.
4. While the sauce is cooking, boil the asparagus in water for about 4 minutes.
5. Add the chicken breasts to the sauce and coat well. Saute for another 2 minutes on each side.
6. Place 2 of the aparagus on top of each piece of chicken, then top with a slice of cheese. Once the cheese has melted, transfer to a serving dish and drizzle some sauce on top