Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes per batch
Serves: Makes 40 biscuits
Dietary guidance: v
100g (4oz) butter
3 tbsp golden syrup
100g (4oz) sugar (eg: caster, light golden, soft brown)
350g (12 oz) self raising flour
1 â€“ 2 tsp ginger
½ tsp hot red chilli pepper (optional)
1 egg, beaten
1) Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
2) Melt butter and syrup (1 minute in microwave).
3) Stir in sugar. Then add ginger, chilli (optional), flour, Mix in slightly.
4) Add egg.
5) Mix and knead until it forms a dough.
If too liquid, add more flour; if too dry, add a little milk or water.
6) Roll out to 5mm (or thicker or thinner) and cut out shapes with cookie cutters.
Place on trays lined with baking paper.
7) Cook for 8 mins (more if thicker, less if thinner).
â€¢ To make the cookies gooey, add more syrup
â€¢ To make the cookies spicier, add more ginger and chilli
â€¢ Try substituting cinnamon for ginger and adding 25-50g chocolate chips
â€¢ For a posh version, add 25-50g white chocolate chips and 25g roughly chopped stem ginger (the kind that comes in syrup). Then half-dip in melted white choc.
â€¢ Decorate by sticking in chocolate chips for eyes, buttons etc before baking
â€¢ When cool, dip edges cookies in melted dark chocolate