Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Serves: 36 Meatballs
Dietary guidance: v
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large carrot, grated
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
2 large eggs
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
3/4 cup walnuts, ground
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
3 tablespoons soy sauce
salt and black pepper, to taste
3 lbs firm tofu, pressed
1. Saute the onion, carrot, pepper, garlic and dried herbs in oil until tender, for about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs, then add bread crumbs, walnuts, parsley, mustard, sesame oil, and soy sauce.
3. Crumble the pressed tofu with your hands, and add it to the bowl, along with the sauteed vegetables.
4. Mix well.
5. Form into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on an oiled baking sheet.
6. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes, or until crisp and brown on the outside.
7. Add cooked "meat" balls to your favorite tomato sauce and serve over your favorite pasta.