Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Serves: 4 Servings
Dietary guidance: v
1 lb firm tofu or 1 lb extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 tablespoons vegetable oil or 3 tablespoons corn oil or 3 tablespoons soy oil, divided
1/4 cup dry sherry
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 cups snow peas
2 whole green onions, minced
2 tablespoons minced fresh yellow onions
1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts or 1/2 cup quartered water chestnut
1 teaspoon minced roasted garlic
1/2 cup roasted cashews
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1. Fry the tofu, covered, in 1 tablespoon of the oil until the tofu is nicely browned; remove from heat.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the sherry, soy sauce, and cornstarch; pour over the tofu, stir well, and set aside to marinate.
3. Remove the ends and strings from snow peas and cut each one into 2 to 3 pieces.
4. Blanch the snow peas in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes, then plunge them into very cold water to halt further cooking.
5. In a skillet or wok heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and saute the green onions, minced yellow onion, water chestnuts, and garlic for 4 minutes; add the snow peas and cashews and stir well.
6. Add the tofu together with the marinade, lemon juice, and pepper and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the snow peas and sauce reach desired texture.
7. Serve immediately with rice or noodles.