Preparation time: 5 Minutes
Cooking time: 15 Minutes
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Serves: 3 Servings
Dietary guidance: v
14 ounces extra firm tofu, water-packed, drained
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey or 1 tablespoon agave syrup
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for broccoli
1/2 lb broccoli floret
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for red pepper
1 red pepper, thinly sliced (I use red bell pepper)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for tofu
4 scallions, sliced, for garnish
1. Cut the tofu across the width into 6 slabs. Cut each slab in half to make 12 squares. Blot the tofu to remove some of the moisture and set aside.
2. Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, honey, garlic, and ginger in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Saute the broccoli in 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat until bright green and starting to brown in places, about 5 minutes. Remove broccoli from the pan.
4. Saute the red pepper in 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat until it starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Remove the red pepper from the pan.
5. Saute the tofu in the remaining 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat until browned, 2 minutes per side.
6. Add the vinegar mixture to the tofu and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
7. Return the broccoli and peppers to the pan and gently toss to coat with the sauce.
8. Garnish with the scallions and serve with brown rice or another whole grain.