Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Serves: 4-6 Servings
1 lb ground beef
1 8 oz package of mushrooms
1/4 c + 1 T finely chopped red onion
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 T soy sauce
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 T light cooking oil (canola, etc.)
4-6 slices of cheese (optional)
Lettuce, tomatoes, onions, mayo, and other fixings
1. Take about 2/3 of the mushrooms from the package and slice into 1/4â€³-1/2â€³ thick slices. Set aside. Take the remaining mushrooms and chop very finely (pieces should only be about 1/4â€³ in size). Place in a separate bowl and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, garlic, 1/4 cup of red onion, the chopped mushrooms, soy sauce, and salt & pepper. Mix everything together until the mushrooms, garlic and onion are evenly distributed throughout. (At this point it may look like way too many mushrooms, but thatâ€™s the goal.)
3. Divide the meat into 4-6 equal portions, depending on how large you like your burgers. Carefully shape each one into a 1/2â€³-3/4â€³ thick patty, taking care not to overwork the meat. Heat the oil in the skillet over high heat until iridescent. Carefully place the burgers in the pan and cook for about 3 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom. Flip and continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes, until theyâ€™re nice & golden brown (and slightly charredâ€¦ Bobbyâ€™s right about that part! Tastes so good!). Top with cheese if youâ€™re using it, allow the cheese to melt by covering the pan with a lid for just a couple minutes, and remove from pan.
4. In a small saute pan, heat about 1/2 tablespoon of oil. Add the onions and saute for about 30 seconds, until they start to turn translucent. Add the mushrooms and cook until tender, about 3 minutes or so, making sure to add a pinch of salt at the end. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Assemble your burgers by adding your favorite condiments to the buns. Place the burgers on the bottom bun, top with plenty of sauteed mushrooms, and keep adding your tower of toppings. Serve with chips or a salad, grab plenty of napkins, and enjoy!