Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Serves: 4 Servings
1 pound fresh or frozen (thawed) small fish fillets (such as grouper, catfish, or tilapia)
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 - 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup sliced and/or chopped miniature sweet peppers
1 lemon, cut up
1. Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towels.
2. In a shallow dish, whisk together buttermilk, egg, and Cajun seasoning. Place flour in another shallow dish. Dip fish in buttermilk and flour. Repeat to coat fish twice.
3. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully add fish to hot oil (working in batches, if necessary). Cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden. Add more oil, if needed. Drain on paper towels.
4. Drain oil from skillet; wipe clean with paper towel. Add peppers to skillet and cook 2 minutes or until crisp tender.
5. Serve fish with peppers and lemon.