Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 1:35 min
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
1½ lbs ground lean beef
1½ lbs ground pork
4 medium onions, coarsely chopped
2 tsp salt
1/3 cup chili powder
3 tbsp cumin
3 tbsp oregano
3 tbsp dark cocoa powder
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 x 28 oz cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 x 900 ml beef stock/broth
8 garlic cloves, split & sliced
2 x 28 oz or 3 x 19 oz cans red kidney beans, rinsed well
1 can refried beans
1. In a 12 quart stock pot combine the first 3 ingredients, stirring often until all the pink colour is lost â€“ about 20 minutes.
2. Stir in the next 6 ingredients and cook about 5 minutes. Stir constantly to blend all spices.
3. Add the next 3 ingredients and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer for at least one hour. If you wish to thicken the mixture, add 2 tbsp or more of cornmeal.
5. Stir in the beans and simmer for another 10 minutes.
6. If you want to spice it up, add ¼ tsp (at one time) of cayenne pepper -- or to taste.