Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v
1 1/4 cup chickpeas, wash and soak in 5 cups water and a tsp of baking soda overnight
5 tbsp - Olive oil
4 tbsp Lemon juice
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
Salt to taste
1. Cook chick peas along with the water until soft. Turn off heat and bring to room temperature. Drain the chickpeas and keep aside. Once cool, place in a ziplock bag and mix by crushing the bag with fingers.
2. Crush garlic and place ¼ tsp in ziplock bag.
3. In the ziplock bag, add garlic, olive oil and press to a fine paste. Add lemon juice, salt and mix with fingers again until well blended.
4. It should be a smooth and creamy paste. Remove and place in a serving bowl. Drizzle some olive oil on top and serve with pita bread, crackers or sliced vegetables such as carrots or cucumber.
- Cook the chickpeas beans prior so they are easy to blend.
- Roast garlic in olive oil before blending with rest of ingredients. This gives a better flavor to hummus.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 to 3 days or for several days in the freezer.