Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v n g d
1 tablespoon olive oil or ghee/clarified butter
1/2 medium-sized onion, diced
1/2 bunch of kale (about 5 leaves), removed from stems and chopped
1/2 teapsoon of sea salt
4 pastured eggs
1 cup coconut milk (I used the kind in the carton, rather than cans. If you use the canned varieties, blend it for a smooth consistency)
2 pinches of turmeric, or to taste. (I kept it light because of my young kids. If you like the curry taste add 4 pinches)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit
2. Heat a medium-sized skillet to medium heat.
3. Add the olive oil or ghee.
4. When the fat has heated, add the onion and saute for a few minutes until translucent.
5. Add the kale and sea salt and saute until it is wilted and still bright green.
6. While the kale is cooking, in a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk and turmeric.
7. When the kale is finished cooking, add the kale/onion mixture to your pie crust and spread evenly across the bottom.
8. Pour the egg custard over top of the vegetables.
9. Place the quiche in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. It is finished when the custard is fully set and bounces back when lightly pressed in the center.