Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
1. Chicken 1: Full divided in to 8 pieces. Skinned.
2. Cardamom pods: Green 5 crushed.
3. Yoghurt: 300ml / 10 Fl. Oz
4. Milk: 150 ml / 5 Fl. Oz
5. Red onions: 2 Sliced.
6. Basmati Rice: 1 pound / 450 grams
7. Cinnamon Sticks: 2
8. Green Chilies: Fresh 4
9. Lemon Juice: 4 Tbsp
10. Ginger: Finely chopped 1 Tsp.
11. Garlic: Fresh and crushed 2 Tsp
12. Black Peppercorns: 4
13. Black Cumin Seeds: 1Tsp
14. Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp
15. Turmeric: Grounded ½ Tsp
16. Saffron Threads: 1 Tsp
17. Ghee: 6 Tbsp
18. Cilantro leaves / coriander leaves: 3 Tbsp
19. Salt: 2 Tsp.
20. Garam Masala: 1 Tbsp
1. Take a large bowl.
2. In the bowl mix well ginger, garlic, Garam masala, red chili powder, cardamoms and 1 Tsp of salt.
3. Now to this add chicken pieces.
4. Add yogurt and mix well everything.
5. Cover it and leave it in refrigerator for 3 hours to marinate.
6. Soak rice in water for 30 minutes and then drain.
7. Now take a small pan and boil the milk in it.
8. To the milk add saffron threads and keep aside.
9. Take a large pan and heat 6 Tbsp of Ghee in it.
10. When ghee is melted and hot add onion slices.
11. Cook until onions turn golden brown.
12. Now take out half the onions and ghee from the pan, transfer to a bowl and keep aside.
13. Now take a pan.
14. Put water in it and put rice, cinnamon sticks, black peppercorns and black cumin seeds in the water.
15. Bring the water to boil and then keep cooking till the rice are about half boiled.
16. Remove from heat.
17. Drain them and keep them in a bowl.
18. Mix the rice with 1 Tsp of salt.
19. Now finely chop the green chilies and set aside.
20. Now take the chicken mixture out of refrigerator and mix it in the pan containing half of onions and Ghee.
21. Now add half of chopped chilies, half of saffron milk, half of lemon juice and half of cilantro.
22. Now add rice in the chicken. Mix well.
23. Now add everything left including half of ghee and onions.
24. Cover the pan tightly.
25. Cook it on low heat for about an hour.
26. Now check for the chicken. If it is still not cook then cover pan tightly again and cook for another 15 minutes.
27. Now with a large wooden spoon, mix the dish well.
28. Serve hot with coriander chutney and yogurt.
1. Though Desi Ghee is desired but if not available then you can use vanaspati Ghee too.
2. In place of red onions you can use white onions too.
3. Make sure the ingredients are well mixed with chicken so chicken absorbs all aroma and taste of spices at time of marination.
4. Use only Basmati Rice.
5. You can also use boiled eggs cut in half to garnish.