Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Serves: 4 servings
Dietary guidance: n g d
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
2 TBS chili powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 6oz can no salt tomato paste
2 TBS minced garlic
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 TBS EVOO
2 med tomatoes chopped, undrained
2 med bell peppers chopped (any color)
1 Large onion chopped
1 1/2 lbs of extra lean gr. beef
1 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cup water or no sodium beef broth
1. In a small bowl, with a fork, mix together the seasoning ingredients to create a thick paste.
2. Heat oil in large heavy bottom skillet over medium heat about 3 min.
3. Add onion, bell pepper, tomatoes and cook until vegetables are soft and meat is browned.
Use wooden spoon to to continually break up the meat.
4. Add the seasoning mix (use spatula to scrape it off bowl) and cook, stirring it into the beef
5. Add the water or beef broth and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat to medium to low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until most liquids have evaporated, stirring occasionally.