Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Serves: 10 pieces
Dietary guidance: v n
2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
1/2 cup (125 ml) water
vegetable oil, for frying
1. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the centre; pour in the milk and water.
2. Toss with fork just until soft, slightly sticky dough forms.
3. Turn out onto a floured surface, and with floured hands, press into 8-inch (20 cm) circles.
4. Meanwhile, pour enough oil into a cast-iron or heavy skillet to come 1/2 inch (1 cm) up the side; heat over medium heat.
5. Fry dough, turning once, until puffed & golden, and the tip of knife inserted in centre comes out clean, about 8 minutes.
To serve, cut into 10 pieces.