Difficulty: Medium - experience needed
1/4 cup icing sugar
1 cup butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 egg yolk
2 cups flour
- Soften butter slightly without letting it become oily.
- Stir in sugar, salt, nutmeg & egg yolk with a wooden spoon.
- Add in the flour a little at a time until mixture is too stiff to work with your spoon.
- Turn onto a floured board and kneed slightly, drawing in a all the flour till the dough just begins to crack.
- Roll out 1/4 inch thick and cut into desired cookie shapes.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 for 10 mins or until delicately browned.
- Decorate before baking unless you are decorating them with icing after.
- Cool on racks, store in a cookie tin.
* Very old recipe my Grandmother used to make :)