Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v n
350g peeled diced sweet potato
90g unsalted butter + extra for greasing
40g unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
150g cane sugar
135g wholemeal plain flour (or wholemeal spelt flour)
1.5tsp baking power
1. Preheat oven to 180C / gas 4. Grease 8 * 8â€ baking tin, line with paper and grease again
2. Steam sweet potatoes and mash until thoroughly soft
3. Melt butter over low heat. Remove from heat and add cocoa and vanilla and stir.
4. Lightly beat eggs. Add eggs, cocoa mixture and sugar to the sweet potatoes and mix well.
5. Mix together the flour baking power and salt in another bowl. Fold into the sweet potato mixture
6. Spoon into tin. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes. Cut into squares and transfer to wire rack