Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Difficulty: Medium - experience needed
Dietary guidance: n d
1/2 c flour
1 t paprika
1/2 t kosher salt
1/2 t freshly ground peppers
9-10 chicken pieces, bone in, skin on
EVOO (olive oil)
1 c chicken broth
1/2 c dry vermouth or dry white wine
1 t dried thyme
1 t dried rosemary
1/4 lb shallots (8-12)
8-12 garlic cloves (whole)
Veggies (I use 3-4 of the following):
16 oz package of baby carrots
3/4 lb small round red potatoes (about 6), quartered
8 oz package of crimini or button mushrooms, stems removed
package of Brussels sprouts, whole
head of cauliflower cut into florets
1. Preheat oven to 400*
2. Heat 2t EVOO in a large skillet with high sides.
3. Combine flour, paprika, salt, and pepper in a large zip-lock baggie. Add chicken pieces a couple at a time to coat with flour. Shake off excess and place chicken pieces into the skillet, not touching. Brown about 5 minutes per side in batches. Add EVOO as needed. Place chicken pieces in a large roasting pan as they are done.
4. Add the broth, wine, thyme, rosemary, shallots, and garlic to the skillet. Bring to a simmer as you scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
5. Arrange the vegetables around the chicken pieces. Sprinkle the veggies generously with salt. Pour the broth mixture over the chicken and vegetables.
6. Bake, uncovered, for about an hour, basting every 15 minutes with the pan juices, until the chicken is done and the vegetables are caramelized.