Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v n
small onions, finely sliced
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1. Finely slice the onions and chop the red pepper, removing the seeds. Cut the potatoes into roughly ½ cm slices.
2. Heat a knob of butter in a medium (about 24 cm) frying pan over a low heat and cook gently for 10 â€“ 15 until starting to go brown, add the peppers and cook for a further 5 mins.
3. Put the potatoes in a steamer over boiling water for 10 - 12 mins to soften.
4. If you donâ€™t have a steamer, put in a saucepan, cover with boiling water and simmer gently for around 8 - 10 mins until just cooked through and drain well.
5. Break the eggs into a jug and beat with a fork, season with a generous grind of pepper and a pinch of salt. Use scissors to snip the chives into small pieces and stir in.
6. Heat the grill. Add a little more butter to the frying pan and add the potatoes. Pour over the egg mixture. Cook for 15 mins until almost set and golden brown underneath - you can use a spatula to lift the omelet up and check.
7. Put the frying pan under the grill. Make sure the handle is outside the oven as it will become very hot and can burn. Cook for a further minute or two and serve.