Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: n g
2 heads of chopped cauliflower (remove leaves) (I like to use one orange and one white)
4 tablespoons bacon drippings or extra virgin olive oil
2 white onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
8 cups chicken stock
1+ cup grated Smoked Gouda cheese
2 T Sweet smoked paprka
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated Smoked Gouda cheese
½ lb Bacon â€“ fried and crumbled or finely chopped
Fry Bacon and set aside â€“ reserve 4T of bacon drippings.
- In large sauce pot, sautee onions & garlic in bacon drippings until softened (about 5 minutes). (note you can use olive oil if you do not want the extra fat).
- Add cauliflower and chicken stock and cook over medium heat until cauliflower is tender. Tender = you can easily cut through the stem with a spoon. Approx 30 minutes. (note for a nuttier flavor â€“ you can roast the cauliflower â€“ this will decrease cooking time in stock pot. Roast tossed in bacon drippings, salt and pepper at 400 for approx. 25 minutes).
- Remove from heat, add 2 T paprika and puree with immersion blender.
- Stir in Smoked Gouda and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm topped with grated smoked Gouda cheese and crumbled bacon.
Optional â€“ you can add leeks or sub them for onions. Make sure you have enough stock to cover all the vegetables in the stock pot.