Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v n
5 Tbsp. whole wheat purpose flour, divided use
½ tsp. paprika
½ tsp. garlic powder
1 medium onion, (½ onion thinly sliced, ½ onion chopped), divided use
3 tsp. olive oil, divided use
8 oz sliced mushrooms
½ tsp. onion powder
3 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves removed and chopped, stems discarded
½ tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. ground black pepper
½ cup nonfat milk
2 Tbsp. dry sherry wine
1 lb. frozen French-cut green beans
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Combine 2 Tbsp. flour, paprika, and garlic powder in a medium bowl; mix well.
3. Add sliced onion; mix until well coated. Set aside.
4. Heat 2 tsp. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Add sliced onion mixture; cook, turning once or twice, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from skillet and place on a paper towel. Set aside. Wipe skillet clean.
6. Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
7. Add chopped onions; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes, or until translucent.
8. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the liquid released from mushrooms is almost completely evaporated.
9. Add remaining 3 Tbsp. flour, onion powder, thyme, salt, and pepper; mix until vegetables are coated.
10. Add milk and sherry; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until bubbly and slightly thickened.
11. Add green beans; cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until heated through.
12. Add yogurt; mix until combined.
13. Place green bean mixture in casserole dish. Top with onion mixture.
14. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until casserole is bubbly.