Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Serves: Yields about 3 dozen puffs
Dietary guidance: n
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons salted butter, cut into 8-10 pieces
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
3/4 cup sharp shredded cheddar cheese
6 strips bacon
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Fry bacon until crisp, drain on paper towel lined plate. Finely chop and set aside.
3. Combine water, milk, salt and butter in a medium saucepan. Cook over high heat, stirring until butter in melted. Bring to a boil.
4. With a wooden spoon, stir in flour all at once. Continue stirring until the dough leaves the sides of the pan and forms a ball.
5. Transfer hot dough to a large mixing bowl. Let dough rest for 2 minutes.
6. Beat the hot dough on low speed for 1 minute. Quickly (so the egg won't begin to cook when it hits the dough) beat in the first egg until thoroughly blended into the dough. Continue beating in the remaining eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
7. Beat in the shredded cheese, bacon, and peppers. Continue beating until the dough is smooth and well blended.
8. Using a tablespoon or small cookie scoop, drop dough onto the parchment lined baking sheets. With moistened fingers, smooth over any peaks on top of the mounds of dough (If peaks are left they may burn).
9. Bake the puffs for about 20-22 minutes until puffed and golden brown.