Difficulty: Medium - experience needed
- 1 = cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstartch
- 24 ounces frozen dark, sweet, pitted cherries, thawed and drained; (reserve the juice)
- One 14 = ounce can tart, pitted red cherries, drained; (reserve the juice)
- 1 cup dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons quick oats (not instant)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1) Make the Crust-
1. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, and sugar. With a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until the mixture is coarsely textured with small, irregular flakes and bits the size of small peas. Sprinkle on the water, one tablespoon at a time, stirring with a fork until the dough just holds together. Gather the dough into a ball, flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic, and chill for one hour.
2) Make the Filling-
2. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch.
3. Combine both of the reserved cherry juices to equal one cup; discard any remaining juice. Stir the juice into the sugar mixture until smooth. Over medium-high heat, bring the sauce to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and cook until thickened.
4. Gently stir in all the cherries and bring the mixture back to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the filling to a bowl to cool slightly while preparing the crust.
5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 1/8 inch thick round. Fit into the pie pan, trim the edges if necessary, and crimp decoratively. Chill while preparing the topping.
3) Make the Topping- 7. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, and sugar. Stir in the melted butter and combine thoroughly.
4) Assemble the Pie- 8. Pour the filling into the chilled crust. Sprinkle the chopped chocolate over the filling. Crumble the topping over all. 9. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 50 to 55 minutes, until the filling is bubbly and the topping turns golden brown. 10. Transfer the pie pan to a wire rack and cool before serving.