Dietary guidance: v
RED VELVET CAKE
2-1/4 cups All-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon Salt
2 tablespoons Cocoa
2 1-ounce Bottles of red food coloring (equivalent measure is
1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons)
1/2 cup Crisco or other vegetable shortening
1-1/2 cups Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 cup Buttermilk
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1 teaspoon White vinegar
1 teaspoon Baking soda
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
1 boxes confectioners' sugar
8 oz.cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. margarine, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. nuts, chopped (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
2) Combine the sifted flour and salt, and set aside.
3)Put the cocoa in a small glass bowl, and add the food coloring
gradually, stirring until mixture is smooth. Set aside.
4) Cream together the shortening and sugar, beating for 4 or 5
minutes at medium speed in your electric mixer until fluffy.
5) Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for at least 30 seconds
after each addition.
6) At low speed of your mixer, add the flour mixture to the
sugar mixture alternately with the buttermilk and vanilla,
scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
7) Add the cocoa/food coloring mixture, mixing until color of
batter is uniform. Do not over-beat or it will result in a tough
8) In a small bowl, mix the vinegar with the baking soda. It
will foam up. Stir it briefly to mix, and then add it to the
cake batter, folding it in to incorporate well, but do not beat.
9) Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans, and bake in a
350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a cake tester comes
out clean. Allow layers to cool on a rack for 10 minutes before
10) Let cake cool completely before frosting.
Beat until smooth and creamy. Spread on completely cooled cake.