Dietary guidance: v
7½oz plain flour
2oz cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
8oz milk chocolate, broken into pieces
4oz plain chocolate, broken into pieces
12oz light brown sugar
6oz unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1½ lb chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F/170°C/Gas Mark 3
2. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 inch of water in a pan over a medium heat. Place the plain and milk chocolate pieces in a bowl over the pan, tightly covering the top with clingfilm. Allow to heat for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir until smooth. Keep at room temperature until needed.
4. Cream the light brown sugar and butter with an electric mixer for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the eggs a little at a time, beating between additions.
6. Mix in the vanilla.
7. Add the melted chocolate and mix.
8. Add the sifted flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt, along with the chocolate chips, and mix until thoroughly combined.
9. Drop tablespoons of the mixture onto greased and floured baking trays.
10. Place in a preheated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
11. Allow the biscuits to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Store the biscuits in an airtight container.
This recipe makes 3dozen+ biscuits. To make fewer, divide by 3 so youâ€™re not trying to split eggs!