Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Dietary guidance: v
250g Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
250g Butter (cut into pieces, room temperature)
4 Large Eggs (>70g ea)
120g Caster Sugar
Butter for Ramekins
Preheat oven to 175°C
1. Melt chocolate on low heat in a bowl over a saucepan of water. When melted, take off heat, andâ€¦
2. Stir in butter pieces, until they melt.
3. In another bowl, beat eggs yolks until frothy.
4. Stir eggs into melted chocolate and then the flour.
5. Whisk egg whites and sugar until soft peaks form.
6. Gently fold the chocolate mixture into the egg whites.
7. Butter 8 ramekins, and pour in chocolate batter.
8. Cook for about 10 minutes.
9. Tip ramekins upside down onto dessert plates and serve.
A scoop of vanilla ice-cream is the perfect complement.
You may prepare the chocolate lava cake mixture ahead of time, and then bake 10 minutes before serving.
The cooking time is critical. The cakes should be removed immediately once they have risen. Cooking for too long will result in a solid rather than runny centre. On the other hand, taking them out before they have risen will mean that the outer layer would not be completely cooked yet.