Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 1.5 lb of preferably flank steak ... but even shitty cuts like chuck suffice (the coarser the meat the more seasoning you'll hab to add)
- 1/4 stick of butter
- 5 shallots
- sea salt
Prep: (1) take beef ... if not already done so, cut from side length-wise so as to have "sheets" of meat about 3/4 of an inch thick ... score the meat (this ensures that the spice mix (rosemary, salt and pepper) melange well with the melted butter)
(2) to prepare the spices ... take sea salt mix with pepper and rosemary ... mix well in a small bowl ...
(3) rub liberal amounts of this mix into the scored meat for about 2 minutes...
(4) cut shallots lengthwise ..
Cooking: (1) place saucepan on stove and turn heat to medium ... glaze pan with a bit of salted butter ... once hot (but before the butter burns) dump the cut shallots into pan - saute until shallots are caramelized ...
(2) remove shallots and as much of the buttery sauce as possible.
(3) turn up heat to high, and place steak on the sauce pan ... cook 2 minutes on both sides ... (or more ... if you like your meat well done)
after the meat is done serve with the buttery shallots ... would recommend perhaps some baked baby potatoes with sour cream/chives and a good bottle of cabernet sauvignon to accompany the meal ;)