Cooking time: 30 mins
Difficulty: Easy - for beginners
Dietary guidance: v
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bircab soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
350 grams butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound carrots (approx 8-10 large medium carrots) peeled and grated (or use the left over flesh from making carrot juice - this makes a finer textured cake)
2 cups chopped pecans
cream cheese icing (see seperate recipe)
1. preheat oven to 180. line and butter three 9 inch round cake pans, dust with flour, tap out excess.
2. whisk ogether flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and nutmeg.
3. beat butter and sugars togetheron medium speed until plae and fluffy. add egs - one at a time - beating well after each. beat together three mins.
4. add vanilla carrots and water. beat well until combined.
5. reduce speed to low and add flour, then 1 cup of the pecans.
6. scrape better into prepared tins and bake rotating tins half way through, until golden brown and a skewer comes away clean - approx 30 mins.
7. let cool in pans on wire rack - then turn out and let cool completely
8. place one cake on platter and top with 1 cup cream cheese icing. repeat with second laer. add third and final layer and cover with rest of icing. press remeining 1 cup chopped pacans into sides.
9. refrigerate 1 hour before serving