Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins + cooling time
Dietary guidance: v
200g low-fat soft cheese (Philadelphia)
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
250g caster sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
100g self-raising flour (sifted)
50 g pecan nuts, chopped
40g butter (recipe says 60, but this seems much too much)
1 tbsp milk
100g icing sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1. Lightly grease a 20cm shallow square cake tin, and line with baking paper.
2. Beat together the cheese, vanilla essence & 25g of the caster sugar until smooth. Set aside.
3. Beat the eggs and remaining caster sugar (225g) until light and fluffy.
4. Heat butter and cocoa powder in a pan until the mixture combines. Stir into the egg mixture. Fold in the flour and nuts.
5. Pour half the chocolate mixture into the tin, and level the top. Spread the cheese mixture over the top, and finish by adding the remaining brownie mixture. Bake in a preheated oven (180C) for 40-45 mins.
6. Icing: melt the butter in the milk. Stir in the icing sugar and cocoa powder. Spread over the cooled brownies. Leave the icing to set, and then cut into squares to serve.