Preparation time: 45m
Cooking time: 30
Dietary guidance: v
4 large beefsteak field tomatoes or 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
3 cups (750 mL) corn kernels, cut from 4-5 cooked cobs or 2 cans peaches and cream corn, drained
1/3 cup (75 mL) minced red onion
1/3 cup (75 mL) crumbled feta cheese
1 jalapeño pepper, minced
1/4 cup (50 mL) mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp (1 mL) chili powder
1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
salt and black pepper to taste
1. Boil corn, chill and cut off cobs or open cans of corn and drain well.
2. Coarsely chop tomatoes or open can of tomatoes and drain. Mince garlic, onion and jalapeño pepper.
3. In a medium bowl, combine corn, onion, cheese and jalapeño. Add mayonnaise, garlic, chili powder and lime juice and stir until everything is evenly coated with dressing. Add tomato and chill for at least 30 minutes prior to serving. Serve with crackers or melba toast.
- If making ahead, please do not add tomatoes until 30 minutes before serving, otherwise the dressing will thin and become watery.
- The original version of this recipe we found called for you to slice the tops off of the fresh tomatoes and remove pulp with a melon baller, keeping the shells intact. The pulp was then coarsely chopped and added to the rest of the mix (instead of chopping tomatoes), and the mix spooned into the tomato shells and served like that. This is also a very tasty way of serving the dish as an appetizer.