Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: the longer the better
2 onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
.45kg/1lb lean minced beef
1 glass red wine
2x400g cans chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp tomato purée
2 red chillies, seeded and finely diced [or 3-4 tsp dried chilli flakes or chilli powder - whatever you prefer - the more you add the hotter it will be]
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 stick cinnamon
few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
1 beef stock cube
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1x400g can red kidney beans, drained
1x410g can black-eyed beans, drained
1x420g can of your favourite baked beans in tom sauce
1 large bunch coriander leaves, roughly chopped
1. Brown the minced beef in a large saucepan, drain excess fat, return to heat and add the onion and garlic - fy until softened. Crumble in the stock cube and pour in the red wine and boil for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add fresh chilli [or chilli flakes/powder], cumin and ground coriander. Cook for a minute or so and then stir in the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée' and cinnamon stick. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for about 50/60 minutes [the longer the better really] - until the mixture has thickened. Don't forget to give it a stir occasionally.
4. About 10 minutes before serving add the three types of beans and cook for a further 10 minutes, uncovered.
5. Just before removing from the heat, add the Worcestershire sauce and extra seasoning if necessary.