Preparation time: <45 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Dietary guidance: v
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 cup warm trim/skim milk (~1 minute in the microwave)
1 teaspoon salt
2-3 cups plain white flour
Optional: egg wash
Toppings: kosher sea salt, cinnamon & sugar with melted butter, mustard
1. Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm milk. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
2. Mix in salt and 2 c. flour. Add in third cup of flour just as needed to keep dough from being sticky.
3. Knead dough for 10 minutes and form into a convenient shape.
4. Cut into 6 equal pieces and roll out into 15" snakes, <0.5" thick.
5. Rest under damp cloth 5-10 minutes.
6. Shape into pretzel and dunk in rolling boiling water for 5-10 seconds.
7. Bake on greased cookie sheet at 425oC for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Lightly brushing the top with a whisked egg before baking make them shiny.
For toppings, the salt will stick after pretzels come out of the water, before baking. For cinnamon sugar, melt a little butter and sprinkle a mix of 0.5 teaspoon cinnamon mixed with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar or to taste.