Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 10 min
2 chicken breasts, sliced into strips
3 star anise
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 tbsp fresh minced ginger
1 tsp fresh minced garlic
1 large green onion (shallot), chopped
2 large mangoes, pitted, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup toasted pecan halves
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp cider vinegar or rice vinegar
2 tsp ketchup
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp water
1. Mix the marinade ingredients in a bowl.
2. Put the raw chicken in and let it sit for half an hour.
3. Mix the sauce ingredients in another bowl and put aside.
4. Break off the star arms of the anise and throw away the middle.
5. Carefully press between your fingers until you hear a crack.
6. In a non-stick frying pan or a wok, heat the oil and the star anise on high heat.
7. Put in the chicken and stir-fry for about 4 or 5 minutes, until the chicken is opaque. (cut one open to test)
8. Put in the pepper slices, ginger, garlic and shallots and stir-fry for another minute.
9. Put in the sauce ingredients and stir to mix until it thickens a bit.
10. It should take about another minute.
11. Add the mango slices and mix gently until they're warmed through.
12. Garnish with the pecans and cilantro and serve immediately. Try not to eat the anise arms that are left.