Preparation time: 40-60 min
Cooking time: 90 min
1 eel, skinned
1½ cups sake
3 cans cream of mushroom
4 carrots, diced
1 large bunch broccolini, diced
4 oz shiitake mushrooms, diced
2 bundles somen noodles
cracked peppercorns to taste
1. Put eel, sake, carrots, mushrooms, and broccolini in a large pot. Add enough water to submerge everything. Bring to a light boil, then simmer for 25 minutes. Drain and save liquid.
2. In a separate small pot, boil the somen noodles for 4-5 minutes in some of the saved stock. Drain and discard liquid.
3. In a seperate medium pot, add the cans of cream of mushroom. Then fill one can with some of the saved stock from step 1. Pass this liquid between all 3 cans and add to the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add a thin layer of the cream stock to a glass casserole pan. Add the noodles next. Add another thin layer of cream stock. Add the eel and vegetables simultaneous with more cream stock. Cover the eel and vegetables with the last of the cream stock.
5. Mix a liberal amount of olive oil into the bread crumbs. Make enough of this mixture to give the entire casserole a 1/8-inch coating. After coating the casserole, bake at 300°F for 45 minutes or until top is browned. Let cool and serve.