Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Dietary guidance: v
450g caster sugar
100g plain flour
50g Cocoa powder
150g Butter, melted
750ml double cream
20ml Milk, chilled
75g icing sugar
2 tbsp vanilla sugar
400ml can pitted Cherries
250g plain chocolate, chilled and grated
1. Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Whisk 250g of the caster sugar with the eggs until pale, thick and creamy. Sift in the plain flour and cocoa and fold this into the mixture with the melted butter.
3. Grease 3 23cm cake tins with butter and coat them with flour. Pour the mixture into the tins and bake in the oven for 25 minutes. When baked, turn out the cakes and leave to cool.
4. Boil 200g of caster sugar and 350ml water into a syrup and stir in 4 tablespoons of kirsch. Spoon this syrup over the cooled cake layers.
5. Whip together the double cream with the milk, icing sugar and vanilla sugar.
6. Strain the pitted cherries and soak in the remaining kirsch.
7. Cover each layer of cake with a quarter of the cream and 12 cherries. Then cover the sides of the cake with the remaining cream and decorate with chocolate shavings.
8. Serve chilled.