Preparation time: 5 min
Cooking time: 5min
Serves: 4 ppl
Dietary guidance: v v
1 Big Bunch English Spinach
4 tablespoons Japanese sesame paste (or tahini shhh)
6 tablespoons mirin (or two of honey +2 of sake)
2 tablespoons cooking sake
1 tbs sesame seeds, ground roughly
2 tbsp soya sauce
1. Bring water to the boil.
2. Wash spinach, keeping in the bunch just rinsing it.
3. Place the whole shebang, roots and all into the water without shifting around. Leave for 2 min
4. Rinse under cold water immediately or put in a bowl of ice water.
5. Keeping in the same bunch shape, squeeze all the excess water out. Cut into 2 inch lenghts, discarding the very ends with the roots. (you want to keep all the stems though!)
6. Mix the liquid ingredients. The sesame won't blend well at first, be patient. Pour this over the spinach and mix it up gently- try to keep them all going the same way. (ie the stems line up parallel)
7. Place this into 4 dishes dividing the leaves and stems evenly in the bowls. Top this with the smashed sesame seeds. Chill this if necessary but is best eaten straigh away!