6 Chinese dried Mushrooms
12 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast or thigh
2 tbs light soy sauce
1 tsp Shao Hsing rice cooking wine
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup raw cashews; about 3 ounces
2 tbs vegetable oil
3 slices of ginger
1 tsp finely minced garlic
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
1. in a medium bowl, soak mushrooms in 1/3 cup cold water for 30 mins or until soften. drain and squeeze dry, reserving the soaking liquid. cut off and discard stems. thinly slice caps.
2. Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
3. remove any visible tendons from the chicken. cut chicken into 1-inch cubes. in a medium bowl, combine 1 tbs of soy sauce, rice wine, cornstarch, sugar, and salt. stir to combine and set aside.
4. place the cashews on a baking dish, then place in the oven for 7 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. set aside to cool
5. heat a wok or skillet over high heat until hot ot smoking. add 1 tbs of oil and ginger and stir-fry 30 seconds. carefully add chicken mixture spreading it in the wok. cook, undisturbed, 1 to 2 minutes, letting chicken begin to brown. then using a spatula stir fry 1-2 minutes, or until chicken is browned on all sides but not cooked through. transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
6. add remaining 1 tbs to the wok and then add the garlic, mushrooms and red peppers, and stir-fry 1 minute. swirl in the reserved mushroom soaking liquid and stir-fry until almost all liquid has evaporated, about 1 minute.
7. return the chicken to the wok with any juices that had accumulated, along with the cashews and remaining soy sauce, and stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.