Serves: Serves 4
24 nice fresh button mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced (or garlic paste to taste â€“ the portion of garlic is up to how much you like â€“ I use 2 cloves)
¼ lb. (one stick) butter, melted
¼ lb. (approx. 2 cups) shredded old (sharp) cheddar cheese
¼ lb. (approx. 2 cups) shredded Mozzarella cheese
¼ cup white wine (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Remove stalks from mushrooms and hollow out. Wash mushrooms.
3. In a bowl, mix shredded cheddar cheese, melted butter and minced garlic. Add wine as an option if you wish.
4. Stuff each mushroom cap with a generous amount of the cheese paste mixture.
5. Put mushroom caps into four escargot serving dishes (6 mushroom caps per dish). Place escargot dishes on a baking tray/pizza tray and bake till bubbly and brown (about 10-13 minutes.)
6. Remove from oven and then switch oven to BROIL.
7. Add generous portions of shredded Mozzarella cheese to the top of each dish.
8. Return mushrooms to oven and broil for about an additional 5 minutes (or until you see the Mozzarella getting golden brown on top.)
9. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes before serving. Serve with crusty French or Italian bread.
Note: I think itâ€™s the perfect appetizer for special occasions and prior to having BBQ steaks (when I grill steaks, I also like to make a Béarnaise sauce on the side for the steaks as an added touch).
A variation I do with the stuffed mushrooms is to mix some crabmeat and/or lobster with the cheese mixture for those who like a bit of seafood flavour as well! - Geoff Brown