Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 45-55 mins
Dietary guidance: v v
1kg chopped, peeled, cored pears
juice of 3 lemons
1 vanilla pod - split
700g preserving (or plain white) sugar
1. Place pears in large pan with lemon juice, water and vanilla pod. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10 mins.
2. Uncover the pan and continue cooking for a further 15-20 mins until pears are soft.
3. Remove vanilla pod and scrape remaining seeds back into pear mixture.
4. Tip pear mixture into food processor or blender and puree.
5. Press the puree through a fine seive and into a bowl.
6. Measure the puree into a large heavy pan, and add 275g wrmed sugar for every 600ml of puree. (Sugar can be warmed in a pyrex bowl in the microwave).
7. Stir the mixture over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
8. Increase the heat and boil for 15-25 mins, stirring, until the mixture forms a thick puree that holds its shape when spooned onto a cold plate.
(The finished product will be a little runnier than jam.)
9. Spoon into warm sterelised jars. Seal, label and store in a cool dark place for at least 2 days before serving.
*store up to three months - once opened, refrigerate.