Preparation time: enough
Cooking time: 8-10 minutes
Serves: makes 1½ lbs.
Dietary guidance: v
* 2 cups semolina
* 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
* 2 eggs
* 3/4 cup lukewarm water
* pinch of salt
* 1 tsp. and 1 tbsp. olive oil
1. In a large bowl, stir together semolina and flour and form a well in the center.
2. Add eggs, water, and a generous pinch of salt to well and, with a fork, gradually incorporate semolina mixture until a dough is formed. (Some mix will not be incorporated.)
3. Knead dough on a work surface, incorporating more semolina mixture from the bowl as necessary. Discard any hard clumps and knead until smooth and elastic. (About 8 minutes.)
4. Divide dough into 8 pieces and wrap separately in plastic wrap.
5. Line 2 trays with a dry kitchen towel and dust your hands with some semolina mixture.
6. Remove plastic wrap from 1 piece of dough and roll between your hands to create a rope from 3-4 feet long and about ½ inch thick.
7. Put onto the work surface and use a sharp knife to cut into ½ inch pieces. Keep them separated and avoid touching.
8. Lightly toss the pieces with a little semolina mixture.
9. Put each cut piece of dough, cut side down, in the palm of hand and form a depression by pressing the thumb of other hand into dough and twisting slightly.
10. Arrange orecchiette on a kitchen towel-lined tray. Continue making orecchiette, following #6-9 for each separate piece of dough.
11. Boil at least 3 quarts of water with a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of olive oil. Place pasta into boiling water and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes.
12. Drain, add and mix with a tablespoon of olive oil and serve with your favorite sauce.