Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 30-45 min
Dietary guidance: v v
3 Tbsp butter (or good oil if you're vegan)
2 cups sauerkraut
1 package pre-made gnocchi
salt, pepper, and (optional) vegetarian
Worchestershire sauce to taste
(You can also add any other winter veggies you
like--parsnips, beets, rutabega, pumpkin, etc.)
1. Cut all vegetables into bite-sized pieces.
2. In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over
medium heat. Add the veggies (except for the
sauerkraut) and sautée them until they're lightly
browned, 5-7 minutes.
3. Add a cup or two of water and turn up the heat to
high. Stew the veggies until they're tender, 20-30
minutes. Stir occasionally and add water as
4. Return heat to medium. Add sauerkraut, gnocchi,
salt, pepper, and (if you want) Worchestershire sauce.
Stew for 5-10 minutes to allow flavors to come
5. Serve with dark beer, dark bread, and a nice
bright spinach-almond-orange salad. Winter's not so
bad, is it?