Cooking time: 45 mins.
Serves: 12 servings
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
8 Tbl. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
10 oz. 70% cacao bittersweet chocolate, chopped
6 large eggs
Grated zest of 1 orange
1-2 Tbl. dark rum
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter an 8 x 12 inch round cake pan. Line the bottom with a disk of parchent paper cut to fit.
2. Heat the water and sugar in a medium saucepan. Once the sugar is dissolved and the syrup begins to simmer, remove from the heat and stir in the butter, then the chocolate. Mix until the chocolate has completely melted.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs together with the orange zest and rum. Gradually whisk in the chocolate mixture.
4. Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan. Set the cake pan in a large pan (such as a roasting pan). Add warm water to the larger pan so that the water reaches about 1 inch up the outside of the cake pan, creating a water bath.
5. Bake for 45 mins. or until the batter is slightly risen and soft, but feels just firm, and no longer liquid, in the center.
6. Remove the cake from the water bath and cool on a wire rack. Once cool, invert the cake onto a serving plate, remove the pan, and peel off the parchment paper.